The Hart of Food- Lemon Yoghurt Cake

00:40


Good afternoon everyone, I hope Friday's treating you pleasantly,

I was in the mood to do a little bit of baking today and I felt like bringing you all along with me. In trying times, baking often brings me absolute comfort and simplicity. There's something of a calming sensation about gathering ingredients together and following a recipe. In the end, I decided on making my grandmother's infamous Lemon Yoghurt cake. It brought me back to all these childhood memories; about helping my grandmother make this for family afternoon teas (well I mostly just licked the bowl)! I also had a large number of fresh lemons in the fridge that our lemon tree had grown - 'tis the season as my grandmother always says. So without further ado, I hope you enjoy.

What you'll need:
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • rind of 2 lemons 
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup oil (used as a substitute for 100g of butter)
  • 1/2 tsp of salt 
  • 1 cup of yoghurt 
  • 2-3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice 
  • 2 cups of self raising flour 


Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a floured ring pan 
  2. Peel all the yellow peel from the lemons using a potato peeler. Using a food processor (you can also use a rotary beater),  beat the sugar and lemon peel together until the lemon peel is finely chopped through the sugar. 
  3. Add the eggs, oil and salt, and process until thick and smooth. 
  4. Add the yoghurt and lemon juice and blend until just mixed. Note: You can use any kind of yoghurt for this step - plain, sweetened or flavoured (If you use flavoured yoghurt, make sure you choose a flavour that will blend with the flavour of the lemon).
  5. Add the flour, one cup at a time, and process just enough to combine with the rest of the mixture
  6. Pour the cake batter into your prepared ring pan and bake for 40-45 minutes depending on oven. Make sure to keep an eye on the cake!!! 
  7. Remove the cake when the sides start to shrink, the centre springs back when pressed, and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool for about 10 minutes before transfering carefully onto a rack
  8. Sprinkle with icing sugar, drizzle the remaining lemon juice and enjoy! 

Let me know if you tried this recipe out by tweeting me on Twitter (@hartofwriting) using the hashtag #thehartoffood and I'll be following everyone back! 

Comment below and let me know "do you also enjoy your cake with tea?"

And until next time, 
Gina xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

I'm apart of...


Flickr Images